Thursday, May 04, 2006

General Gripes

Its fairly strange. Just when I told my boss that I am quitting, and finalised the dates and everything, work is actually getting really interesting and hectic. Not that it wasn't before, but now it looks as if my project might finally see its much delayed launch into production. And the levels of work are now getting fairly serious. Its a wierd combination, where one minute, just the sheer pressure (and pleasure) of the work just forces me to stay there, and the next (when I have a boring bit to handle), I have lost all motivation!
However, I still am optimistic about completing it before I leave. I have already postponed my quidditch date by about 20 days and am trying desperately to launch it before I run. If only the pay wasn't so not great! I would genuinely have considered staying in this job a few more years, just for the awesome learning experience. But feeding my reading habit alone off a 6k or 7k sal in B'lore with my expensive tastes is not exactly feasible. Actually, make that impossible. Ah well, life is full of compromises.

Well, back to a book review This time, I thought I should go to someone who is not that well known as an auther.

Glimpses of World History--Jawaharlal Nehru.

This is a series of letters written by Nehru while he was in prison, to his daughter Indira Gandhi. What a writer we lost when he became a politician! Yes, his political views are made fairly clear throughout the book. But his understanding of political situations, as well as the quality of his writing, makes this a unique view of history.
I was given this book when I was about 13...I think. I did not read it in sequence, instead picking and choosing the stuff that looked interesting. And while I dont recommend it for most books, this one, it works, because of its own slightly episodic nature. (It is a bunch of letters after all!). I don't remember the details of the book now, but I do remember raving about it till I was 15-16. By which time I started reading fantasy!
But this is one book that should be bought, kept at home, and read. Unfortunately, I have lost my own personal copy of this book, and am now too broke to buy it (refer gripe above!). But I plan to get it as soon as I save up enough cash. Worth reading and keeping.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»