Sunday, June 04, 2006

Finishing Up!

The last week has been really eventful. Finally, after much delay I finally went and installed my first pump in a customer's machine on Monday.
Well, actually it was given free, because I wanted to see how it works, and the data from actual running, while the customer got a free pump...if it worked! Thankfully, it did, and so far, after 6 days, no problems so far.
I spent Tuesday feeling good about myself, and finalising drawings. Wednesday...ditto. Thursday...again the same. Friday saw another customer agreeing to be guinea pig, Saturday was spent furiously tying up loose ends, and Sunday saw me installing the pump at the customers place. This looks quite good as well, but I still have my fingers crossed!
I am quitting on Monday...and I dread the paperwork that is waiting for me.
So, what did I get out of my job of 1 year?
A lot of experience of the practical parts of engineering. As a fresh graduate, I am honest enough to admit that I was a dreadful engineer. Now, I can honestly say that I am an adequate engineer, and I owe most of it to my company.
My job involved meeting a lot of people...from very different backgrounds. From initially reporting to the no.2 guy in the company, to telling a subcontractors' machine operator exactly how I want my part machined. I learnt something about communication there. And that the best way to be with people is to be completely natural with anyone. It works...strangely enough! :-)

Now what did my company get from me?
They got a guy who was willing to slave for them for 6k!
A pump...which may or may not work perfectly!
Pending bills! (I hope to clear them tomorrow though!)

Anyway, that is it for today. I am off to watch the Indians bat, and then read a book...or maybe play a computer game!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»