Saturday, August 26, 2006

Movie Review: And life in general

Well, Continuing on life in Kharagpur. First I start with a movie review. I just watched Karan Johar's latest movie, Kabhi Alwida Na Kehna (I hope I got the spelling right!). And what was the movie like...other than long!
Well...I wish I could appreciate these bollywood movies more...but K Johar is in a league of his own. I have read these byte sized reviews, so I thought I will have a go.
Boy A marries Girl B
Boy C marries Girl D

Girl B loves Boy C
Boy C loves Girl B

Unhappiness and an extramarital affair later, Girl B divorces Boy A...Boy C divorces Girl D.
Three Years later....Girl D meets Boy C in railway station...and they go on to live happily ever after.

This of course took about 3.5 hours! So verdict...leave this at the theatres...watching it will just make you want to throttle the director! Of course, this is my personal opinion...I know one or two people who liked the movie. Good for them!

As for the rest of life. With exams coming up, I should now be seriously studying...but it does not take a genius to realise I have been watching movies and not studying! However, slow and steady wins the race...and the last day or two has actually seen me open my books and blow the dust off them.
Now to philosophy...today I had a moment of epiphany. This is a bit long, so wait around! I usually hate having cold water baths....why? Maybe I dislike being cold, or its the feeling when the first sharp hit of cold water hits my back. At any rate...I dont like cold showers. But today, I applied some philosopy I read in Robin Hobb (Assasasin's Quest...dont remember the page). Basically, it said something about not using your prior expectations affect your reactions to current stimuli (The stimuli in the book was cold rain).
So I tried eliminating all thought of the desire for hot water. The fact of cold water was inescapable, so I decided to eliminate the idea of dislike for the sudden deluge of cold water...And what do you know; It worked! I could actually take the plunge (figuritively), and enjoy the experience. The cold water was not unpleasant or irritating...it just was as it ought to be...and my experience was unaffected by my past beliefs or baths!
I wonder if I could use the idea for the rest of my life...But a word of caution for those who want to use the above philosophy. When I turned off the shower, I was as cold as if all that philosophising was just a bunch of hot air (which I longed for dearly at the time!).
Well, more for my next post.
Till then,
Ta Ta.

No comments: