Thursday, May 31, 2007

Traffic Snarls and Good Books!

Well, last evening, I managed to experience the less nice side of Chennai. I was stuck in one of the most dreadful jams I have ever been in. The worst part was that everyone used to tell me that there are no jams in Chennai. And Bangalore is truly bad, so I expected things would be better in Chennai...And the problem with heightened expectations is that when they are not met, you feel a lot worse!
And yesterday it appeared like the whole of Chennai was keen on experiencing gridlock...every street I went on was jammed solid, and this at 10:30 pm! Though I was treated to an awesome display of fireworks at one of the many places where my bus was slowed to the speed of a rather elderly snail.
Now for the second part of my post...now previously, during my travels in traffic jams, I always used to carry a book or two to keep myself entertained. And for some reason, the books always used to be these typical thrillers that are churned out by the Robert Ludlums of the world. I remember reading Dan Brown's books, quite a few Ludlum's, and others of his ilk. They provided a great respite from boredom, and you could always mark the page and resume when you made your next bus journey!
So, every day, during my daily commute in Chennai, I have now resolved to carry appropriately brain-dead reading matter for entertainment...that way, during the next 2.5 hour traffic jam, I have something other than the traffic to curse!

No comments: