Thursday, August 02, 2007

50th Post....And hiring Teams

Blogger tells me that this is my 50th post on the blog....by Jove...it looks like this has lasted a lot longer than most! So, here is to many more posts to come!
Now back to management stuff! I was talking to a friend on GTalk, who was cribbing about the lack of personal interaction and friends at work. I was of course, doing much of the same as well, when she came up with quite a great idea.
She asked why companies don't hire in teams of 3-6 people, all of whom are friends and have experience working in a team with each other. I thought of half a dozen reasons why not, but they all fundamentally boiled down to, "well, we have not done it before!"
Consider this. Companies make a huge hue and cry about how its teams that are important today rather than individuals. And yet, they go around busily hiring individuals, and then mashing them up into teams willy-nilly as and when needed. It makes little sense. Instead, why not try hiring a group of 4-6 people, say those who have done a project together and who get along with each other, and then see how the team goes.
I am certain that such a team would clearly outperform a team of strangers. Your strengths and weaknesses are all known, and every person in the team would be having far more effective for that knowledge. And as a handy advantage, they can play together, as well as work together. All in all, a company would be pretty well off with that.
So, I guess I should jot this off to a nearby HR head of a large IT company and see what they think of it. I am sure they will think up a million objections. But it would be worth a shot, would it not?

No comments: