Sunday, March 26, 2006

Eventful Week

I got a couple of results in this last week. First there was IIT Kharagpur, where I got through...and then there was IIT Delhi, where again, much to my surprise, I got through as well.
Anyway, I spent a couple of days thinking over what I wanted out of an MBA, and I have finally decided on IIT Kharagpur rather than delhi. The final reason was fairly simple. With a focus on management systems, and recruiters who are mainly IT firms, I did not feel that I would suit my own interests all that much taking the course.
I am just not focussed enough now to say that Systems is the right way for me to go. I would like to have an OR/Operations look, and even finance and marketing before making a choice. And taking IIT Delhi would have foreclosed those options even before I tried them.
Yes, placements are said to be a bit better at Delhi. But honestly, as long as you find a job that satisfies you, and earn more than you spend...does it really matter beyond that? And the difference is still only quite small. So I put placements out of my criteria in order to make my decision.
So anyway, that is done. I have mailed the DD for the 1st sem fees...of 50K! Which again brings me to one of my pet points. These courses, whichever way we look at it, are still aimed at the middle class...or upper middle class. Where are the management classes for those who are educated in their vernacular languages, and who are more likely to be entrepreneurs? We don't seem to have too many courses for those types, and the exams, frankly handicap anyone who is not great at English . Something for all of us to think about...and a problem that has few easy solutions.

Today is also my Birthday, and I spent it with some of my friends. Had fun watching My Cousin Vinny (which i should review some other day), and playing batminton...after several years! I shall sign off now, and probably write again sometime later.

No comments: